Tips for a Virtual Meeting
– By Catherine Greseth
- Mute your microphone – Alt A – unmute hold down the space key
To help keep background noise to a minimum, make sure you mute your microphone when you are not speaking.
- To chat select Alt H
- To stop or start video Alt V
- Be mindful of background noise:
When your microphone is not muted, avoid activities that could create additional noise, such as shuffling papers.
- Position your camera properly:
If you choose to use a web camera, be sure it is in a stable position and focused at eye level, if possible. Doing so helps create a more direct sense of engagement with other participants.
- Limit distractions:
You can make it easier to focus on the meeting by turning off notifications, closing or minimizing running apps, and muting your smartphone.
- Avoid multi-tasking:
You'll retain the discussion better if you refrain from replying to emails or text messages during the meeting and wait to work on that PowerPoint presentation until after the meeting ends.
- Prepare materials in advance:
- If you will be sharing content during the meeting, make sure you have the files and/or links ready to go before the meeting begins.